Pages

Vote and Follow

Follow MsTravelTina on Twitter

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Calming Influence? Me?

There are certain words that I never thought I would hear when describing me. One in particular: 

Calm.

You read that right. Me, calm? Yeah, right. Only if they changed the definition in the dictionary. 

I was surprised to hear it myself. I was talking with someone today and they said that they were glad I was going to be going to our clients next week with the group as I would be a calming influence on my coworkers. I was floored. I had never been described this way. And I mean NEVER.

It may take me a little time to get used to this.

It got me thinking. I used to be the mom who yelled all the time. Over everything. And I mean EVERYTHING. Kids didn't pick up their rooms? I yelled. Kids weren't ready for school? I yelled. I had turned into a cranky mom. And I didn't want to be that way.

Now? I still get cranky but I realize that I don't yell much anymore. Am I really calmer? What caused the change? I would like to say that I had an epiphany and made a decision but I think it was a gradual change.

So what happened? I just stopped being so concerned about the little things. Son wanted to go to school in January only wearing a sweatshirt? He will be the one cold, not me. Their room is dirty? They are on another floor and I don't have to see it.

Now, when I do have to yell, it means something. Just ask my son. He will tell you. I can still bellow with the best of them.

My yelling was becoming the norm and they shut me out. I was just background noise.

So, yes. I am calm. I will live it, embrace it and love it.




3 comments:

  1. I'm a pretty mellow person by nature. People call me calm.

    But I yell. Heck, it's the only way my kids take me serious! If I calmly saying, "Please get this room picked up." they don't hear that. They ignore me. But if I yell, "OMG ARE YOU KIDDING ME? GET THIS ROOM PICKED UP RIGHT NOW!!" then their eyes bulge out and they are scampering around the room in a complete frenzy, picking up toys left and right.

    Hey, you know...ya just gotta do what works sometimes.

    Saw your link on the Thursday Blog Hop. I'm your newest follower!

    ~Katrina
    http://www.theyallcallmemom.com/2011/04/bmx-birthday.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can be a very calm person ... but make me mad and I am a raving lunatic... Maybe not that bad..

    I am a new follower. Hope you can stop over and check out my post. I was featured on Master Supplements Monthly Newsletter.

    I would love for you to check it out. Terry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome Katrina! I completely agree that you do what you have to do. It sucks that you can't just tweak the code in the kids to make them compliant!

    Hello to you as well Terry! Trust me, I turn into a lunatic when I get mad too. I will check it out!

    Thanks for the follow from you both!

    ReplyDelete