Pages

Vote and Follow

Follow MsTravelTina on Twitter

Friday, March 11, 2011

Common Courtesy...A Lost Ideal?

Ok...my first rant has to do with people who don't have the thank you gene turned on. WTH ever happened to common courtesy? Is it gene related? Is it just that we live in a messed up world or what?

Have you ever gone out of your way to hold a door open for someone and was met with glaring silence? I mean, no "thank you", no polite smile...or even worse just a grumpy grunt? (Say THAT 10 times fast...lol). If you have, are you secretly wishing for Lady Karma to come back and bite them...or should I say that someone just lets the door go and because they are sooo wrapped up in their own, selfish world that it hits them right in the ugly mug? Me too.

Here's something that I like to do...when they don't say anything I will loudly proclaim..."You are so welcome!" I know it only makes me feel good when they turn around and look shocked but maybe it will give them pause and think about it.

Brings me to my story...I was shopping with my young daughter (10 years old at the time) and she waited for an ENTIRE family of 5 so she could hold the door open for them. And guess what?!?! Yup, you got it. NOT ONE OF THEM said thank you! So, being the mom that I am and because I saw the shocked look on her face and the fact that I was feeling a bit sassy that day...you know what I mean...well, I walked back to the family and confronted them. What? I went there and am proud of it. I crossed the line and called them out.

"Excuse me, do you realize that my daughter stopped, waited for you to get to the door, and kept holding it for each one of you to walk through and not ONE of you could actually say thank you to her? How am I to teach her to be courteous when there are people like you who do this?" I wish I had a camera...it was priceless. My daughter was met with a stammering reply of an utterly embarrassed, "thank you".

So, if you run into this, just give a cheerful, "Your welcome" shout out to the offender...and that would make the world a better place according to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment